Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Food Storage

Food storage is critical to be able to survive a disaster. In our modern society we can go to the local grocery store any time of day or night and buy whatever food we need. It is so easy and convenient that we don’t consider what we would do if that resource was not available. The idea of food storage can seem so drastic when we have a fully stocked Wal-Mart right around the corner. But, speak with someone who has gone through a hurricane and ask them how quickly the store shelves get cleared out of canned food and water. Not only will those food stuffs disappear within hours or days, but they will not be replenished quickly. At that point you will have to rely on your own food storage to survive. You may have to survive only days, but it may be weeks or even months.

Because food storage is a very in depth topic I will do my best to keep it brief. Here are the areas that we need to understand:

Why – Specific reasons why you should store food?
What – What type of foods should I store?
Where – Where should I store my foods?
How – How much food should I store? How do I get started?
Who – For whom should I store food? What should I consider when I am storing food?

To Be Continued:

No comments: